Monday, November 19, 2007

Blogged: David Blight and A SLAVE NO MORE Event


Walking the Road from Slavery to Freedom With John Washington
From Civil War Memory Blog by Kevin Levin

I don't really know how to begin this post about my experience yesterday in Fredericksburg other than to say that it reminded me of just why I find the study of history and the Civil War in particular to be so important. It was a whirlwind day that began in the afternoon with a tour of John Washington's Fredericksburg through his own words and memories. Michaela and I were honored to be included in the afternoon tour which included Ruth A. Washington, granddaughter of John Washington and his great-great granddaughter, Maureen F. Ramos. I was conscious throughout the tour that they were hearing the story of their ancestor for the first time. For me it was a meaningful and entertaining way to broaden my own understanding of the past through the words of an actual participant. However, as much as I was moved by Washington's own words for Ruth and Maureen it was a much more personal and profound experience.

For the rest of the blog entry as well as a picture, please click here.

No comments: